I did the first print off of the manuscript this evening. A hundred or so pages (it's in separate files at the moment so the page numbers aren't continuous). Essentially this is the first stage of editing. I've got a whole bunch of good material that's all over the place. Yes, my plan is in tatters, as I knew it would be. I need to rethink how the bits I have will fit into the manuscript. The good news is I have a very clear idea of what it will be. I just need some time to sit down with it and hack and slash. To be honest I actually take a rather perverse pleasure in hacking up my own work. I'd much rather scribble over a printed page than stare at a cursor blinking over pure white.